Gen. Col Arthur Gould (109.html)

Col Arthur Gould down the St John River in 1777

So, by 1777, there was a small population of New Englanders on the river, which for the most part eagerly supported the Revolution. There were also the Malecite people whose strength could be added to that of the New Englanders to hold the river for the American side in the war. This was contingent, perhaps, upon receiving military help from New England, and upon a general uprising among the people of Nova Scotia of the sort that Eddy had envisaged.

John Allan, a Scottish immigrant from Cumberland and New England, then enters the story and Seth Noble again becomes prominent. In May of 1777, John Allan attempted to establish a trading post on the Saint John River.27 Allan was superintendent of the Eastern Indians for the Massachusetts Congress, and his objective was to strengthen the support of the Malecites in the Revolutionary War.28

A British war vessel was dispatched from Halifax in response to Allan’s move and arrived at the mouth of the River under the command of Colonel Arthur Gould and with a force led by Major Studholm. Studholm wrote to the Maugerville settlers and told them that the British knew of their disloyal activities. He said that they held their grants only by “the Indulgence of the most Just, the most Generous, and the best of Princes” and that, given proper loyalty, they could still fall “under his Royal protection”.29 By inference, the alternatives would not be so attractive. Seth Noble and some others signed a statement asking “that no distinction be made as to pardon” but Seth was too well known among the British, and he had to flee narrowly avoiding capture and leaving his wife Hannah behind with her parents. He then made his way with Jonathan Eddy by inland routes to Machias.30

The people of Maugerville felt threatened, and found it necessary to reply to Studholm. They said “that their greatest desire hath ever been to live in peace under good and wholesome laws” and that they were “ready to attend to any conditions of lenity and oblivion that may be held out to them.”31 Other exchanges took place between Studholm and the people of Maugerville and, still in May of 1777, he administered the oath of allegiance. Having signed the oath, they were given a paper entitling them to protection by “all his Majesty’s Officers both Civil and Military”. He also threatened that those who had not shown up to sign the oath had better go to Halifax to do so, or else they would not share in the same protection.32

While on the River in May of 1777, Colonel Gould also met with the Malicites and made a speech in French, which they welcomed. Several leaders swore their allegiance, and Gould promised to ask the Governor to supply them with a priest.33 Colonel Gould’s party then returned to Halifax, taking Israel Perley with them.34 In the meantime, Allan had left the river.35

Allan was not finished with the Saint John River and, on May 13, 1777, two of his associates arrived at Manawagonish Cove near Portland Point in pursuit of the trading post plan. However, they were discovered by the British, who destroyed their whale boat, and they had to flee back to Machias. The British ship Vulture also intercepted two schooners laden with supplies for the trading post.36

Seth Noble was forced to leave the river for his safety. When the British search party appeared he hid in the house of a sympathizer, Mrs. Wasson. The officers entered but Noble was hidden under a bed occupied by a daughter of the household feigning illness. The officers gave the room a quick inspection before leaving, and the girl rowed Noble across the river where he hid until under the cover of darkness before starting off for Machias.37

John Allan was also now in Machias, and it was at that time that Seth Noble joined the American army as a Private in Captains Dyer and Jabez West’s Company of veterans from the Cumberland raid. Allan was determined to continue his work with the Malecites, and a military force left Machias on May 30, 1777, and arrived at Musquash Cove near Portland Point on June 2, 1777.38 The British ship that had disrupted his provisioning of the trading post had left the River by that time.

From Musquash Cove, they proceeded overland to Portland Point and took James White, William Hazen and Lewis Mitchell prisoner, while exchanging some insults with James Simonds. Allan then left a contingent of about sixty men to hold Portland Point and the rest of the group headed up the river encountering mostly friendly inhabitants along the way. Seth Noble conducted intelligence work for the mission, which likely involved proceeding ahead to determine the mood of the population and to detect the presence of any British forces. They arrived at the Malecite village of Aukpaque above Ste. Anne’s on June 5, 1777 where some natives greeted them warmly, while others still favoured Gould. Lewis Mitchell escaped at some time during the ensuing four weeks while conferences and bonding ceremonies were observed between the New Englanders and the Malicites. News of Allan’s activities then reached Halifax.39

Salcey Lawn

The following email might refer to Col Arthur Gould who fought in 1777, but probably doesn't:

	Salcey Lawn
Postby Felicity » Sat May 04, 2013 5:25 am

I saw some earlier postings about Salcey Lawn. In 1908 my paternal grandfather Charles Ferguson Campbell, son of Sir J Scarlett Campbell, married Mrs Muirhead Gould (daughter of R P Stuart Muirhead, widow of Col Arthur Gould). She then took the name Mrs Muirhead Campbell, and they lived and owned Salcey Lawn, Northampton.

I have had no contact with that side of the family at all. My father Reginald Smith was born in the Towcester Union Workhouse in 1919 and his father (Chas Ferguson Campbell) paid for him to be fostered for about the first year of his life. In 1921 he was adopted by Mrs Elizabeth Goodyear and her daughter Constance and brought up in various villages around Northampton. Constance finally settled in Ashton and died in 1981. Some family friends of my father Eric and Agnes Whatton had a sawmill in Hartwell and I stayed with them on several occasions about 1979. They had planted their own wood and had a treehouse in the centre of it complete with electricity.

Does anyone have any information about any of these people?
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 5:13 am
Re: Salcey Lawn
Postby Felicity » Sat May 25, 2013 10:28 am

Hello all people in Hartwell

No response to my earlier post. Can anyone suggest someone who might know the history of Hartwell and Salcey Lawn?
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 5:13 am
Re: Salcey Lawn
Postby Old Man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am

Hello Felicity
I am the grandson of Eric and Agnes Whatton and I still live in their house in Hartwell.
The saw mill is long gone but Rowley wood planted by Edric Whatton, Erics father, is still there as is the tree house build by my father John.
I think we met more than once as I used to work in the saw mill in the school holidays!!
I'll help if I can, with your research.
Old Man


NB Salcey Lawn is in Northampton, ON,

Descendancy for the above persons:

1 R P Stewart Muirhead (c1837?)(Robert Dalrymple Steuart Esq) m1 Wmily Eliza de Vernet Grosset-Muirhead (m in 1861) 2 Emily Muirhead (1867-) m1 Col. Arthur Gould (c1747-before 1908) of Queen's Bays 3 Gerald Gould 3 Mignon Gould m2 Charles Ferguson Campbell (1864-1925) (m in 1908) (he was son of Sir J Scarlett Campbell) (upon marriage his wife became Mrs Emily Muirhead Campbell) (Charles and Emily lived at Salsey Forest in 1908, she was 41, he was 44) m2 (adultery in 1872) with Baronne Isabelle Hubertine Emma Caroline Hughes nee Le Clement
From Source 3:
GOULD - There passed away at the old Ladies Home on Friday, December 23, 1949, Mrs. Nancy Gould, in her 83rd year, widow of the late Arthur Gould of East Jeddore, Halifax County. Funeral to take place Saturday December 24, at 2 o’clock from Cruikshank’s Funeral Home. Interment in Camp Hill Cemetery. THE MAIL STAR, DEC. 24, 1949.
This implies that Arthur Gould's wife Nancy was born in 1866. But Col. Arthur Gould's widow was named Emily and she was alive in England in 1908. Col Arthur Gould who fought in 1777 must have been born before 1747. To be the husband of Nancy in Source 3, he would have been 110 when she was born. Clearly the Arthur Gould in Source 3 is not Col. Arthur Gould who fought in 1777.

External Sources

Source 1:
by Felicity- 2013
Source 2: by Felicity- 2013
Source 3: The Mail Star Dec 24, 1949

← Back to Top of This WebPage

Click here to return to ePC Articles by Old King Cole

Updated: 2016 A Jan 01
Created: 2016 A Jan 01
/WebMaster: Ye Old King Cole